Sunday, June 12, 2011

La Gente

We've hit the halfway point this weekend; it's hard to believe it's been three weeks, though on the same page it's hard to believe we have three weeks left. We hit up the tourist town of Baños and spent time relaxing today, though it was rainy and while the hot springs of Baños were ok, not the most interesting.

Thus, for your reading interest, I've decided to finally publish my post on the people of Ecuador, as I've experienced them so far. For me, the people of this country bring it alive: they are friendly and smiling and concerned for their communities, and have made me feel quite comfortable here. Even though we often have to talk many of them into talking with us during our interviews, they are still generally helpful and haven't said no to a photo yet.

A few facts, per the US Census Bureau:

 I had been wondering why everywhere we went there were children, children, children. The population pyramids for Ecuador and the US explain this...
Also, here are a few indicators to demonstrate that Ecuador, while is fairly developed, is truly still a developing country. 
While some of these pictures have involved me becoming a bit of a creeper/wishing that I had a much better camera, I'm glad to have captured just a few of the 14,000,000 inhabitants. 

From Quito:
Lunching on the street
There is large disjunction in Quito between those who shine and those who have shoes to be shined



La Plaza de Independencía 
Parque Carolina; public displays of affection are far more accepted here than in the United States


This old gentleman stood politely still so that I could properly photograph him here in the market of Otavalo
Many of the vendors were similar to the old woman seen here in traditional dress
A typical street vendor; here he has set up shop to catch the Saturday crowd in the park. Ceviche is a typical Ecuadorian dish of usually raw seafood in a type of broth

This little girl was usually hanging out just around the corner from our hostal in Quito; unfortunately rarely was a parent in site
I have many more pictures of the people from and around Guaranda, to be added as soon as the internet permits!
Meanwhile for your viewing pleasure: Lauren and I battle a gallo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEWNRGDCZs

No comments:

Post a Comment